As American as apple pie and just as sweet, Girl Scout cookies have been delivered to every nook and cranny of the U.S. for nearly 100 years. Here’s the 10 most fascinating Girl Scout cookie facts, including a bonus Top 10 Most Famous Girl Scouts. Enjoy.
1. Girl Scouts in the U.S. have been fundraising with cookies since 1917.
2. Girls Scout cookies raise approximately $714,000,000 per year.
3. Girl Scout cookies are kosher.
4. The best selling Girl Scout cookie year after year isThin Mints.
5. During peak bake times, Girl Scout cookie producers Little Brownie Bakers—owned by Kellogg Company—bakes over 4.5 million Thin Mints per day.
6. During peak Girl Scout cookie production 230,000 lbs of peanut butter, 1,050,000 lbs. of flour, and 300,000 lbs of vegetable oil shortening are used in one week.
7. The most controversial ingredient in Girl Scout cookies is palm oil supplied by Cargill, which is connected to rainforest destruction in Indonesia.
8. Girl Scout USA’s use of palm oil threatens endangered species such as orangutans, tigers, and elephants.
9. About 65% of Girl Scouts participate in Girl Scout cookie sales each year.
10. The slogan for Girl Scout cookies is: “Every cookie has a mission – to help girls do great things.”
And a special bonus Top 10…
Top 10 Most Famous Girl Scouts
1. Martha Stewart
2. Jackie Joyner-Kersee
3. Katie Couric
4. Dolly Parton
5. Chita Rivera
6. Taylor Swift
7. Star Jones
8. Amy Sedaris
9. Dakota Fanning
10. Girl Scouts USA CEO Kathy Cloninger