Dominion CEO Punk’d!

Written by Brant Olson

Topics: Finance

Get RAN Alerts

UPDATE #2: Check out a video of the SF actions on YouTube

UPDATE: Dominion posted audio of the presentation to its website (fast forward to the 30 minute mark for the Q&A).

Just back from Bank of America’s 38th annual investors conference at the Ritz here in San Francisco.  Thomas F. Farrell, II, the esteemed notorious CEO of Dominion was presenting to analysts on the company’s financial outlook. Fortunately, we were also there to greet him too.

Mid-way through his podium presentation, however, images of this morning’s protest popped up on one of the screens behind him. Unaware that his power point had been modified, Farrell waxed on about the bright future of coal as confused murmurs began to emanate from the audience of analysts and investors.

After the presentation, a member of the audience asked if Dominion planned to phase out of “dirty coal” given the near certainty of climate change and congressional action to limit fossil fuels. To make a long, stumbling story short: “no”. Next, I stood up to ask why not.  Again, to paraphrase: “because there’s lots of coal, so we’re going to burn it.”

Great.  Good plan. Meantime, we’ll keep prodding Dominion, its investors and other industry fossils toward a future that meets the climate challenge. Notice to Wall Street: The ostrich strategy isn’t working.

1. Levana says:

This sounds awesome! thanks for making me laugh and cheer while on the road. Can’t wait to see pictures.

2. Tony says:

Excellent work at the BofA investors conference ! Keep up the pressure on these dirty, evil greed-mongers.

3. Paula says:

For all the money banks invest in coal, think how beautiful our world would be if they invested that money in renewable energy instead.

4. jean layton says:

bravo.. bravo.. send this to OBAMA.. he needds to know of your good works..

5. Stacy says:

Great Job! Thanks for standing up for this issue and the communities it affects, America needs a new and better energy policy!

6. Anne Ruffner says:

We need a similar action at a proposed copper mining site in N. California at the headwaters of the Feather River, one of the main sources of water for the Central Valley. A Canadian Company, Nevoro is doing exploratory drilling, and planning a “World Class Mine.”

7. Matthew Sutherland says:

Hey yall!
    Most of you know who I am. For those that don’t My name is Matt Sutherland and I live near the purposed power plant. Each and every day I ride my motorcycle to the construction site to remind Dominion I’m not going to let it go.
    My ancestors have lived in these mountains for over five generation, in fact, we were here longer than there has been an independent “United States of America”. These mountains are my birthright and when I look at what is being done it feels like I am watching a family member being raped or murdered.
    Outsiders with deep pockets have bought our lands and butchered our communities and heritage.
    On 9-11 terrorist blew up the twin towers in New York killing thousands. Our government waisted no time in going to war. For the last 100 years coal barons have destroyed hundreds of our towers (mountains) and killed thousands of us from mining, black lung, and toxins. Nobody went to war for us. Is this a double standard? Are our lives worth less because our towers were not created by men?
    We are so insignificant that the burial sites of our grandparents are dug up and moved to get to the black rock under them.
    Thanks for your help and continued help in stopping the wholesale destruction of my mountains and the genocide of my people.

8. please tell you you got video of this action! i would love to see it.

9. I applaud all those who’ve stood up to big mining and who
    oppose mountaintop removal. Good for you!

10. NO TO DOMINION’S DIRTY ENERGY!

11. Emo says:

This is the greatest ^_^

12. Unfortunately I see a move to using more coal.

13. Shin Mccuen says:

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful. It is typically an ongoing event that stems from either financial irresponsibility or a slow or sudden decrease in income.

14. Damn! this is really true. Never thougth this subject before but that’s gonna change wright now! thanx!

15. Ivette Hendy says:

Thanks for this valuable blog post. I clearly liked reading it and will definitely discuss it with folks.

16. I am speechless. This can be a superb weblog and really attractive too. Great work! That’s no longer in reality a lot coming from an beginner publisher like me, nevertheless it’s all I may say after diving into your posts. Nice grammar and vocabulary. Now not like different blogs. You in reality realize what you?re talking approximately too. Such a lot that you just made me need to discover more. Your weblog has develop into a stepping stone for me, my friend.

17. I thought this was a very good post to read, thanks a lot. I may talk about this article with my buddies and relatives in our web site. It absolutely was authored very nicely. Many thanks for sharing.

18. Boa noite pessoal, verdadeiramente um torpedo grátis está cada vez mais custoso devido ao bloqueio das operadoras de telefone. Há ainda serviços de terceiros (sites) que prometem entregar minha menssagem mas quase nunca chegam recepiente final. Alguns como o Mundo oi e o Oi Torpedo funcionam mas e para as outras operadoras? E os que prometem que enviam e nada chega. Para onde está indo as meus torpedos? E para a Tim, Vivo? Alguma Idéia? Ou significa ter de desembolsar?. Desculpem, realmente está difícil achar bons sites para mandar torpedos de graça.

19. This is a really good blog post to read, thanks a ton. I can share this blog post with my friends and loved ones on our site. It had been authored very nicely. Thank you for writing.

20. Motor Cycle says:

Several of these comments on this article look like garbage, You should get rid of them.

21. truck brakes says:

Where do these trolling geeks come up with this stuff? Explain why on earth do you suggest something like this?

22. I understand where your coming from, and I really enjoy your opinion. For what its worth I also love the design of your website, incredibly creative. Bye for now.

23. Venus says:

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

24. Zane Milone says:

If you are beginner to domain transfers then you are genuinely a Domainbie

1. CCAN Blog » Peaceful Protesters Lock their Bodies to Dominion Power Plant
  2. Wise Up Dominion! « It’s Getting Hot In Here
  3. Wise Up Dominion! « praxis makes perfect.
  4. The Understory » Wise Up Dominion!
  5. Root Force » Blog Archive » Lockdown at Virginia Coal Plant Under Construcion
  6. 50th Birthday Invitations