RAN at the 1st ever US Social Forum

Written by Scott Parkin

Topics: Learn

Get RAN Alerts

The 1st ever US Social Forum kicked off in Atlanta on Wednesday.

Before the Social Forum began. RAN’s grassroots organizing team organized a youth action camp that was phenomenal. 25 or so RAN/RYSE activists joined staff for 4 days of workshops on strategy, anti-oppression and RAN campaigns in general. A community developed through the camp that has led to solidarity amongst the activists.

On Wednesday, the Social Forum began with a multi-racial multi-generational multi-issue multi-many other things loud colorful mass rally and march from the Georgia state capital building weaving through the corporate-owned (Coke, Delta, Home Depot, Georgia Pacific) streets of downtown Atlanta stopping at socially relevant historic points along the way (lots of civil rights history here).

In the march thousands representing labor, housing, immigrant rights, peace, various environmental and many more issues took the streets. It’s fitting that the social forum is occurring in Atlanta. Despite the corporate landscape, the city has a strong civil rights history and marching with immigrant rights, labor and civil rights activists reminds one of that history.

On Thursday, over 800 scheduled workshops and events began discussing every possible issue imaginable. While smaller than the World Social Forums, this forum congeals various movements in the US.

1. Antaoniqo says:

q
    Very Interesting…

G’night

2. imilfuflata says:

Is this gonna end someday??

3. dead_drederS says:

Priveet!! Medveed!!!

4. muteverma says:

Hi, everybody!

I think, that this is a great forum. Very intresting and useful.
    But I can’t find the search function, cause I want faster find the topics that could be intresting for me to express my opinion…
    Please help me with search function on this forum!

5. luteragzfer says:

Mike Mossberg, I know you reading this forum, please contact me, because I can’t find your contact details.

6. Frattidadrash says:

What’s up, is there anybody else here?
    If it’s not just all bots here, let me know. I’m looking to network
    Oh, and yes I’m a real person LOL.

Later,

7. heiseaciema says:

ערב טוב

אני מחפש מקום עם רשימה של מפיקי אירועים
    חברה שלי ואני מתחתנים ואנחנו מחפשים השכרת ציוד לאירועים
    ואטרקציות לאירועים

אנחנו נשמח לעזרה בנושא

תודה חבר’ה

8. I must say i savored misplaced and definately will miss it thank you to your suggestions , i’d adore to adhere to your weblog as normally as i can.possess a excellent working day

9. Pawabewette says:

The whole world around us will need your aid in supporting a teenage community centers.

Chile & Haiti earthquake patients call for lightening fast support. The Gad Zeevi & Red Cross are requesting to get environment volunteers & financial aid.

Aid through Google…